Tuesday, November 2, 2010

When's the last time...?

Last Friday, I had the opportunity to see Doug Liman's Fair Game as part of Film Independent's Filmmaker Forum. I went with another friend and later over drinks, we fell into a discussion about how there doesn't seem to be anything memorable lately in film. Yesterday, as I was surfing the net, I happened to come across this interesting article in the New York Times.
The article goes into great length to discuss how there seems to be less memorable one-liners in movies:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/movies/20lines.html

Yes! I'm not crazy. I remember a few months ago going to see Breakfast at Tiffany's playing at a local cinema. Paul Varjak's rant to Holly Golightly about "being in a cage" is one that I'll always remember. When I looked at plenty of films that I was forced to look at in my narrative cinema history class, I am now reminded of how things are different. In one class, I had professor, whom some might say was jaded, but I see her point now after all these years. Back then, "thought" seemed to be put into the careful execution of the look and direction of a film, including the acting, etc. There was STORY.

The Internet age has made it possible for anyone to pick up a camera, shoot and post it on the web (Both a blessing and a curse for us filmmakers that don't have funds). I call it a "blessing" because instead of waiting for the big wigs at the studios, we can do it ourselves. It's also a "curse" because there is sooo much out there and it can become pretty overwhelming. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I find myself becoming very overwhelmed by the material.

When I was still in college, another professor told us that our generation and below (Gen Y) have short attention spans,we like things fast, and when it doesn't come fast enough we move on to the next thing. We're constantly inundated with ways in how to receive information much quicker on our phones, etc. As a person of the Gen Y group, I am well aware of this. I often struggle how to make my ideas work without having big explosions, "big openings" to grab the attention of the audience without fizzling near the end.

I'd have to say, along with the decline of memorable one-liners, what about moments in scenes that seem to stick, or that actually moved you? I'm trying to remember recently( the past few months) a film that I may have seen recently that evoked such feeling in me, but for some reason my mind draws a blank.

No comments: